[cleanairuk_news] has anyone seen a letter from DEFRA to local councils?

Chris Gillham gillham220 at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 26 11:33:51 GMT 2014

In Winchester we (Winchester FoE and Winchester Green Party) have been
pursuing a formal complaint to the European Commission on air quality in our
town.  We received a confirmation from them just before Christmas that our
complaint was still being considered and was 'agglomerated' into the SE
region.  After the recent announcement that the EC is prosecuting the UK we
have heard that our local Council has received a letter (from DEFRA we
think) effectively saying that if the UK gets fined then central government
will expect to pass fines down to local authorities.  We have requested our
Council to see this letter but so far they are reluctant to respond.  We
will pursue with an FoIA request but I am wondering whether any other
campaigners out there have seen such a letter to their local authorities.

Chris Gillham