[cleanairuk_news] Fwd: AirCasting: Education Edition

Network for Clean Air contact at cleanairuk.org
Wed Sep 11 16:13:51 BST 2013

FYI. This organisation is based in the USA and uses low cost digital air quality monitors in their programmes.

----- Forwarded message from mheimbinder at habitatmap.org -----
    Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 01:00:31 +1000
    From: Michael Heimbinder <mheimbinder at habitatmap.org>
Subject: AirCasting: Education Edition
      To: Network for Clean Air / Clean Air UK <contact at cleanairuk.org>

Having trouble reading this email, click here

 WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 11TH, 2013

 MAKING AIR MONITORS WITH HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS

In 2012, the Newtown Creek Alliance, in partnership with HabitatMap, received an Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant from the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation to develop and teach a course on air quality monitoring at Queens Vocational & Technical High School, located in Sunnyside, Queens, New York City.

The 26 students who participated in the AirCasting program during the spring of 2013:

  * Built their own air monitors with instruction from a mechanical engineering professor from the New York City College of Technology and an electrical engineering professor from Manhattan College;
  * Toured the neighborhood around their school with a historian from the Newtown Creek Alliance;
  * Learned the basics of air quality from the Senior Vice President of Sonoma Technology;
  * Developed and executed their own air quality monitoring plans using the AirCasting platform; and
  * Presented their work and findings to their peers, members of the Newtown Creek Alliance, and staff from the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation.

To learn more about the program and watch our video, click here and visit the Newtown Creek Alliance website.

 FASHION YOUR ENVIRONMENT!

Fashion Your Environment is a youth centered program focused on broadcasting environmental data through fashion and wearable technology. Youth participants were exposed to mentorship and training in design, prototyping, and fabrication of fashion accessories that visualize environmental data using AirCasting Luminescence. AirCasting Luminescence uses a microcontroller connected to the AirCasting app over Bluetooth to illuminate colored LED lights in response to sensor measurements received by the AirCasting app: green for low intensity, then yellow, then orange, and red for high intensity.

To learn more about the program, click here to view our video and click here to read our Tumblr blog.

The Fashion Your Environment Program is a collaboration between the New York Hall of Science, Parsons the New School for Design, and HabitatMap. Funding was provided by a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, administered by Mozilla, and in partnership with Hive Learning Networks.

 HEALTH MONITORING & COMMUNITY-ENGAGED RESEARCH

This Friday we'll be discussing our solution to the "My Air, My Health Challenge" during a National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences webinar titled "Personal Monitoring Devices and Community-Engaged Research". The webinar is free and open to the general public. Click here for more details, including how to register.

 MAKE HARDWARE INNOVATION WORKSHOP

On September 18th we'll be presenting our latest innovations in low-cost air quality monitoring hardware at the Make Hardware Innovation Workshop. Click here for more details, including how to buy tickets.

 MAKER FAIRE

September 21st & 22nd we'll be at Maker Faire checking out AirCasting compatible air quality instruments to attendees, crowdsourcing air quality measurements, and running mini-workshops that teach participants how to build AirCasting compatible sensors. Come join us! Click here for more details, including how to buy tickets.

 AIRCASTING & HABITATMAP IN THE NEWS

The /New York Times/ followed us around while we went AirCasting, then wrote a story and made a video about it. The story is excellent in that it covers not only AirCasting but a range of different citizen science air quality monitoring efforts. We also landed an article in /Take Part/ that provides a nice overview of how HabitatMap got started and where we’re headed with AirCasting. For the techies out there, have a look at the AirCasting coverage from the /Arduino Blog/, and for the New Yorkers, check out this recent Tech Beat story from NY1.

Forward this email to a friend. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

HabitatMap - 669 Carroll Street, Suite #3 - Brooklyn, NY 11215 - 347.410.9499

----- End forwarded message -----