[cleanairuk_news] Invitation to No to Silvertown Tunnel: Public Meeting - October 16th, 7pm GREENWICH, LONDON

Network for Clean Air contact at cleanairuk.org
Mon Oct 14 14:13:22 BST 2013

FYI below. Invitation from No to Silvertown Tunnel. All welcome.

----------------------------

You may have heard of the /Silvertown Tunnel/, a plan for a new road link from the Royal Docks to the Greenwich Peninsula, feeding into the A102 and A2 through Greenwich borough. It’s being promoted by the /Mayor of London/, and is being supported by /Greenwich Council/.

While the tunnel’s being promoted as a cure for congestion, it’s actually likely it’ll make jams worse. Studies show that building new roads merely generates more traffic - and more congestion will only worsen the terrible air quality in this area, blighting the lives of thousands of residents.

We’ve done our own air pollution study[1], and obtained figures from Greenwich Council[2] which reveal the shocking state of the air in our borough - and yet the council’s leadership chooses to ignore its own statistics to back a project which will make matters worse.

For the sake of local people’s health, both Boris Johnson and Greenwich Council need to think again about these proposals.

We’ll be revealing these figures, and discussing the impact of a possible tunnel, at a public meeting on WEDNESDAY 16TH OCTOBER at the FORUM GREENWICH, TRAFALGAR ROAD, LONDON SE10 9EQ, from 7PM.

Our guests will include SIAN BERRY of the /Campaign for Better Transport/, SIMON BIRKETT of /Clean Air London/, transport consultant JOHN ELLIOTT and air quality expert DR IAN MUDWAY, of /King’s College London/.

We hope you can join us on 16th October. We’ve also published material on our new website - www.silvertowntunnel.co.uk[3].

With best wishes,

Everybody at No to Silvertown Tunnel

www.silvertowntunnel.co.uk[4]