[cleanairuk_news] Volunteering in London for Cleaner Air (Sustrans/London Sustainability Exchange)

Network for Clean Air contact at cleanairuk.org
Thu Apr 11 18:36:05 BST 2013

Below:

1)Sustrans - Cleaner Air Champions - Hackney, Redbridge and Havering
2)London Sustainability Exchange - Air Quality Volunteer Intern

---------

1) Cleaner Air Champions - Hackney, Redbridge and Havering

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/volunteer/get-involved/vacancies/cleaner-air-champions-hackney-redbridge-and-havering

Location:

     * London

Cleaner Air Champions is an exciting new project being run by Sustrans
to reduce local air pollution and improve the areas we live in.

Did you know that pollution is a big problem in London? Although we
can?t see it the air we breathe caused over 4,000 deaths in the
capital last year.

As well as governments taking action, there are lots of things we can
do to reduce pollution and protect our health.

Sustrans are looking for enthusiastic volunteers and volunteer groups
to get involved and act as Cleaner Air Champions in their local
community.

Summary of tasks

We will provide training, support and resources to help volunteers:

organise events and awareness raising activities
reduce air pollution by helping others to cycle or walk more
improve air quality by building green walls, launching anti-idling
campaigns or any other great ideas
protect people?s health by letting people know what actions they can
take to avoid areas of poor air quality e.g. promoting walking or
cycling routes away from busy roads
monitor local air quality
We also have £10,000 available to help get great ideas off the ground.

Skills required

Enthusiastic and independent person.

Time commitment

We are flexible on how much time volunteers can give on this project,
from seven hours a month upward.

The project runs from Friday 15th February 2013 to Saturday 31st August 2013.

Training and support offered

Sustrans will provide volunteers with support and training in their
role. This will include:

information about the causes and impacts of air quality
support and resources to measure air quality in your local communtiy
guidance, support and funding to take action to improve air quality in
your local community.
For more information contact Laura Slater on
cleanerair at sustrans.org.uk or 0207 017 2356.

---------------------

2) Air Quality Volunteer Intern

http://www.lsx.org.uk/aboutus/airqualityintern_page3566.aspx

This volunteering opportunity will provide support to the growing
Cleaner Air 4 Schools programme, and other opportunities in air quality.

London Sustainability Exchange?s Cleaner Air 4 Schools project was
initially launched to support Transport for London?s Clean Air Fund.
The pilot project engaged three schools from Marylebone, one of
London?s top air pollution hotspots, with the aim of improving
confidence, knowledge and skills of parents, teachers, pupils and
school governors, helping them understand the importance of air
quality, the main causes of pollution and actions that can be taken to
tackle this problem. Together with Network Rail and Manor House
Development Trust this has now been expanded to include a school in
Islington and three schools in Hackney and Haringey, with future plans
to deliver the project in other schools around London.

We are seeking an Air Quality intern who can help to support our
growing programme. This opportunity would suit someone that has skills
in air quality monitoring, and/or interest and experience of
delivering behaviour change initiatives with school communities.

Activities may include:

?    Assisting with project management, delivery and evaluation of the
Cleaner Air 4 Schools programme amongst diverse school communities
across London
?    Assisting with the development and dissemination of a combination
of communication material and resources
?    Assisting with research into sustainability issues in London
?    Assisting in the development and delivery of project resources
and activities
?    Assist with development and delivery of projects, including
researching relevant resources and preparing materials for inclusion
in fundraising bids and project reports.
?    Support delivery of LSx?s comprehensive events programme,
including coordination, preparing materials and delivery on the day
?    Supporting local partner project management and evaluation,
attending meetings and monitoring progress
?    Helping to conduct research and preparing written material which
demonstrates a range of tools and techniques to encourage more
environmentally sustainable behaviour for publication on the LSx
website and other media.
?    Help to deliver LSx's external core communications programme
including bi-monthly bulletins and press work
?    Attending seminars and events and feeding back to team
?    Other activities may be reasonably required.

Downloads:

Application form

Equal opportunities form

Description of Opportunity

We review our available pool of intern applications roughly every 3
months, so please send prospective completed application and equal
opportunities forms with details of when, which days of the week and
how long you are available to Tannith Cattermole t.cattermole at lsx.org.uk

This role is offered for 3 days per week, for at least 12 weeks from
your starting date.