[cleanairuk_news] Air quality and the Health & Wellbeing strategies for London Boroughs/GLA

Network for Clean Air contact at cleanairuk.org
Fri Nov 23 15:17:33 GMT 2012

Dear all,

Below is the latest situation re. Health & Wellbeing Strategies and the
London Boroughs/Greater London Authority. If you're not familiar with the
function of the Health & Wellbeing Boards then see:
http://healthandcare.dh.gov.uk/category/public-health/hwb/

Reading the email from the GLA below then your London Borough will need to
be proactive, and you might want to chase them up too.

Andrew, Co-ordinator Network for Clean Air

Email: contact at cleanairuk.org
Twitter: @CleanAirUK
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cleanairuk
Web: www.cleanairuk.org

----------------

>From the GLA,
See:
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/gla_and_joint_strategic_needs_as#incoming-333537

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your FOI request.

As a result of changes made by the new Health and Social Care Act public
health teams are moving into local authorities from 2013. One of the ways
that the Greater London Authority (GLA) is supporting this process is by
raising awareness of the links between air quality and public health in
London. We are doing this by producing bespoke air quality guidance
documents for each London borough's public health team. It is hoped that
this information will be useful in developing air quality sections within
their Joint Strategic Needs Assessments (JSNAs) and Health and Wellbeing
Strategies. It should be noted that JSNAs are continually updated and many
boroughs already include air quality in their JSNA.

We are currently prioritising the production of the air quality guidance
documents for those boroughs who have made a specific request for this
information to fit into their timetable for producing their JSNA or Health
and Wellbeing Strategy. Please see our website
http://www.london.gov.uk/airquality where the air quality guidance
documents will be uploaded once they have been received by the boroughs.

To raise awareness of the support available the GLA's Health Improvement
Programme Director contacted London Directors of Public Health in July
2012. In addition, over the last six months the Air Quality team at the
GLA has informed local authority colleagues of the support available as
part of GLA/borough meetings, at meetings of the five London air quality
cluster groups and at other fora.

If you are unhappy with the way the GLA has handled your request, you may
complain using the GLA's FOI complaints procedure, available at
http://www.london.gov.uk/freedom-informa....

Yours faithfully

Elliot Treharne
Air Quality Manager
Greater London Authority
----

Dear Greater London Authority,

Please provide me with information between the GLA and each of the London
boroughs' regarding the preparation of each Boroughs' Joint Strategic
Needs Assessment (JSNA) in regard to air pollution and
air quality, for the last six months from today (23 October 2012). I
understand the JSNA is used to inform the borough's Health and
Well-being Strategy.

Yours faithfully,

Andrew Wood